Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Cross-over and Driver Matching

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Don McR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For many years, Altec usued versions of the N501 and N801 as the standard crossovers for both home and pro systems. Since the systems employing these cross-overs had varying sensitivity matches between the LF and HF drivers, I was wondering how this was compensated for. Was it up to the user to use the level control on the back of the cross-over to determine the optimum setting or were the these crossovers modified when installed in specific systems?

    For example, consider 416 bass driver and a small format HF driver. Depending on whether you used a horn loaded enclosure (A7), a ported enclosure (Valencia), an 802 or an 806, you could get sensitivity differences greater than 6db. However, the same N501 could be specified for all of these uses.

    I know that when there were extreme sensitivity differences, such as when the 411-8A was employed, Altec specified a separate attenuator/eqaulizer. However, I'm not aware of any such device to deal with the situation I described above.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    There were, as I remember, differences in the various versions of these crossovers.

    There were never any special modifications when they were installed in different cabinets, as far as I have ever been to determine. Instead, Altec seems to have arrived at a design for a good, general purpose crossover at the specififed frequencies, then put the L-pad on them to allow the end user to adjust them according to taste.

    In truth, they WERE well made crossovers, but I always felt that Altec should have built dedicated ones for each of their systems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.